Young onset dementia
'Young onset dementia' is a term used by some health and social care professionals to describe dementia when it affects people under 65 years of age. It is also referred to as ‘early onset’ or ‘working age’ dementia.
This age distinction is becoming increasingly irrelevant as services are realigned to focus on the person and the impact of the condition, rather than the age.
- Dementia, disability and frailty in later life – mid-life approaches to delay or prevent onsetOctober 22 2015This guidance published by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence aims to increase the amount of time that people can be independent, healthy and active in later life.
- Approaching an unthinkable future – Understanding the support needs of people living with young onset dementiaOctober 7 2015This report explores the experiences of people living with young onset dementia contacted by Dementia Pathfinders during a social care workforce training project in 2014 and 2015.
- Living with young onset dementiaJune 10 2015This video published by the Social Care Institute for Excellence highlights the experiences of younger people being diagnosed and living with dementia.
- Dementia DiariesJune 4 2015Dementia Diaries is a national project that brings together people’s diverse experiences of living with dementia as a series of audio diaries.
- Unlocking Diagnosis: The key to improving the lives of people with dementiaJuly 4 2012This report published by the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia (APPG) explores the barriers to dementia diagnosis in the UK. It makes recommendations to improve diagnosis rates and provide better post diagnosis support for people with dementia.
- Younger people with dementiaMay 19 2015This factsheet published by the Alzheimer's Society explores at the types of dementia that younger people under 65 years of age may have, some of the difficulties that they might experience and where support can be found.
- Services for younger people with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementiasMarch 18 2006This briefing paper jointly published by the Royal College of Psychiatrists and the Alzheimer's Society provides guidance on the services for younger people with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias.
- How common is dementia?April 6 2014According to the Alzheimer's Society there are around 800,000 people in the UK with dementia. One in three people over 65 will develop dementia, and two-thirds of people with dementia are women.
- Dementia UKFebruary 3 2007This report into the prevalence and cost of dementia shows that as the UK's population ages the number of people with dementia will grow substantially. It also shows that dementia costs the UK £17 billion a year.
- Training resources to improve the dementia component of the NHS Health CheckFebruary 12 2018These training resources can be used by NHS Health Check trainers and practitioners to improve the quality of their delivery of the dementia component of the check.
- Torfaen Memory Assessment ServiceDecember 10 2019Torfaen Memory Clinic is a team of healthcare professionals based at Ty Sirol Unit, County Hospital who assess, support, advise and provide treatment for people with memory problems and dementia.
- Dementia Action Plan for Wales 2018 – 2022November 20 2019The Welsh government have adopted the Dementia Action Plan for Wales 2018 - 2022, with Vaughan Gething, Cabinet Secretary for Health and Social Services, stating that, "Our vision is for Wales to be a dementia friendly nation that recognises the rights of people with dementia to feel valued and to live as independently as possible in their communities."
- Useful Apps for Dementia Patients & CarersApril 25 2019There are many apps available that can be downloaded to a smartphone or tablet that could be beneficial to people with dementia. Apps are available for daily aid, memory training, relaxation, care giver information and games.
- Aneurin Bevan University Health BoardAneurin Bevan University Health Board covers the areas of Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Monmouthshire, Newport, Torfaen and South Powys. It serves an estimated population of over 639,000, approximately 21% of the total Welsh population.St Cadoc's Hospital, Lodge Road, Caerleon, Newport, Wales, NP18 3XQ01873 email@example.com://www.aneurinbevanhb.wales.nhs.uk/
- Alzheimer’s Society WalesAlzheimer’s Society is the leading care and research charity for people with dementia their families
and carers. The Alzheimer's Society Wales provides a wide range of services to support people living with dementia and their carers.16 Columbus Walk, Atlantic Wharf, Cardiff, CF10 4BY02920 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200139
- Dementia UKDementia UK is a national charity, committed to improving quality of life for all people affected by dementia. The charity provides Admiral Nurses, specialist dementia nurses who provide practical and emotional support to family carers of people with dementia.2nd Floor, Resource for London, 356 Holloway Road, London, N7 6PA020 7697 email@example.com://www.dementiauk.org
- Art Group Torfaen Younger PeopleThis is for People with Dementia diagnosed under 65 and their Carers, family and Friends Residents of Torfaen Available weekly on Thursdays 10 am till 12 pm Our skill or interest based activity group can give you the opportunity to take part in a fun, ...Llantarnam Grange, Cwmbran, UK01495 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alzheimer’s SocietyAlzheimer's Society is a membership organisation, which works to improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.Devon House, 58 St Katharine's Way, London, E1W 1LB020 7423 email@example.com://www.alzheimers.org.uk/
- Alzheimer’s Research UKAlzheimer's Research UK is a leading research charity for dementia, dedicated to funding scientific studies to find ways to treat, cure or prevent all dementias. 3 Riverside, Granta Park, Cambridge, CB21 6AD0300 111 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org
- Dementia PathfindersDementia Pathfinders CIC is a social enterprise delivering therapeutic care and support for people with dementia and their families, and programmes of education and learning for people working in the dementia care field.Warstones Resource Centre, Warstones Drive, Wolverhampton, WV4 4PG0845 257 email@example.com://www.dementiapathfinders.org
- Cognitive neurology and dementia centreThe Cognitive neurology and dementia centre at St George's Hospital is a regional specialist centre for cognitive neuroscience and dementia, that works closely with other hospitals from across South West London, Surrey, Sussex and Hampshire, and with GPs, community nursing teams, mental health services and social services.St George's Hospital, Blackshaw Road, London, SW17 0QThttps://www.stgeorges.nhs.uk/service/neuro/cognitive-neurology-dementia/
- YoungDementia UKYoungDementia UK is a charity based in Oxfordshire that aims to help people whose lives are affected by young onset dementia.PO Box 315, Witney, Oxfordshire, OX28 1ZN01993 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.youngdementiauk.org/
- “Zest for Life” – Young Onset Dementia ServiceWe are a supportive group for younger individuals. Suitable for those living with young onset dementia or cognitive impairment. We welcome individuals and carers across Gwent.
Weekly Friday drop-in groupWiddershins Centre, East Ave, Griffithstown, Pontypool NP4 5AB01495 769264