GPs and primary health care teams are often the first port of call for people worried about their memory, and are a gateway to diagnosis, support and interventions.
- Dementia core skills education and training frameworkOctober 29 2015This framework published by Skills for Health, Health Education England and Skills for Care sets out the essential skills and knowledge necessary for all staff involved in dementia care.
- Accessible Information StandardJuly 28 2015The Accessible Information Standard tells organisations how they should ensure that disabled patients receive information in formats that they can understand and they receive appropriate support to help them to communicate.
- Fulfilled Lives, Supportive Communities: A Strategy for Social Services in Wales over the next decadeFebruary 21 2007This strategy describes how modern accessible and responsive social services, delivered flexibly, consistently and sustainably across organisational boundaries will contribute to a better Wales and to improving the lives of its citizens.
- World Alzheimer Report 2015: The Global Impact of DementiaAugust 25 2015The World Alzheimer Report 2015, 'The Global Impact of Dementia: An analysis of prevalence, incidence, cost and trends' makes key recommendations to provide a global framework for action on dementia.
- National Dementia Vision for WalesSeptember 25 2011The National Dementia Vision for Wales sets the Welsh governmnet's vision to strengthen communities, creating a key resource for people affected by dementia at local and national level. The objective being that over time, building on local improvements from the grass roots up, a network of local dementia supportive communities will create a national dementia supportive community.
- Cataracts and dementia factsheetJune 25 2013The information in this factsheet will help people in with both dementia and sight loss and how to help someone with dementia cope with surgery.
- Eye examinations for people with dementia factsheetNovember 10 2014This factsheet provides information on eye examinations for people with dementia. It will be useful for people with dementia, their families, carers and professionals.
- Support and care for people living with dementia from minority communitiesFebruary 24 2013This report outlines recommendations to improve support and care for people with dementia from minority communities in the North East.
- Wearing glasses with dementia factsheetNovember 10 2014This factsheet is about the issues people with dementia who need to wear glasses may face. It will be useful for people with dementia, their families, carers and professionals.
- Dementia and People with Intellectual Disabilities: Guidance on their Assessment, Diagnosis, Interventions and SupportApril 29 2015This guidance published by the British Psychological Society aims to promote effective and timely assessment, diagnosis, interventions and support to people with intellectual disabilities who develop dementia.
- Windows of opportunity for prevention and early intervention in dementia toolkitMarch 24 2011This online resource, produced by the Social Care Institute for Excellence, will help commissioners and providers to ensure that any help or support offered at any stage in a person’s journey with dementia is offered in a timely way.
- Prime Minister’s challenge on dementia 2020February 21 2015The Prime Minister recently launched the government’s five year vision for the future of dementia care, support and research, which follows on from the existing Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia, launched in March 2012.
- Prepared to care – Challenging the dementia skills gapJune 4 2009This report published by the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia (APPG) explores the scale of the challenge in training the caring professions in dementia, and how it may be met.
- New models of care for dementiaApril 9 2012This report proposes a new understanding of the dementia journey and a revised model of care for dementia, aimed at improving experiences and outcomes, and informing service redesign and commissioning.
- Unlocking Diagnosis: The key to improving the lives of people with dementiaJuly 4 2012This report published by the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia (APPG) explores the barriers to dementia diagnosis in the UK. It makes recommendations to improve diagnosis rates and provide better post diagnosis support for people with dementia.
- QS30: Supporting people to live well with dementiaApril 3 2013This quality standard, published by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), covers the care and support of people with dementia.
- NICE Clinical guideline CG42 Dementia: supporting people with dementia and their carers in health and social careMarch 1 2011This guideline, published by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), makes specific recommendations on Alzheimer's disease, dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB), fronto temporal dementia, vascular dementia and mixed dementias, as well as recommendations that apply to all types of dementia.
- Dementia awareness resource packApril 10 2011This pack contains a selection of quality assured awareness raising resources designed to promote living well with dementia. The resources include leaflets, factsheets, contact lists and a DVD.
- Dementia Prevalence CalculatorApril 30 2013The Dementia Prevalence Calculator presents an opportunity for all health communities to gain a better understanding of their local estimated prevalence of dementia in the community, and among people living in local care homes.
- CMG48: Support for commissioning of dementia careApril 3 2013This guidance produced by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) summarises the key commissioning issues and the resource impact that will arise from implementing improvements in the quality of care for people with dementia, in line with the statements and measures that comprise the NICE quality standards for dementia.
- Better care for older peopleJuly 11 2014This online resource published by the General Medical Council aims to help doctors challenge the stereotypes associated with older people and tackle the most common concerns older people have about their care.
- Blackfriars Consensus on promoting brain healthMay 3 2014The Blackfriars Consensus, published by the UK Health Forum and Public Health England, explores the potential for incorporation of dementia risk reduction into current approaches for non-communicable diseases.
- A Misspent Opportunity? Inquiry into the funding of the National Dementia StrategyMarch 18 2010This report published by the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia (APPG) examines initial progress made by Primary Care Trusts in England towards implementing the National Dementia Strategy for England.
- Frontotemporal dementiaAugust 6 2013This article published in the British Medical Journal highlights some of the issues pertinent to Frontotemporal dementia, a clinically and pathologically heterogeneous group of non-Alzheimer dementias characterised collectively by relatively selective, progressive atrophy involving the frontal or temporal lobes, or both.
- Care of people with dementia in primary careMarch 10 2012This factsheet published by the Royal College of General Practitioners provides GPs with guidance on the care of people with dementia in primary care.
- Dementia ConnectApril 26 2018Dementia Connect is Alzheimer's Society's comprehensive services directory for people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Dementia Revealed: What primary care needs to knowOctober 30 2014This toolkit written by Dr Elizabeth Barrett is intended as an educational resource for use by GPs and practice nurses to expand their knowledge and confidence.
- Enhanced service for people with dementia in primary careSeptember 30 2013This short paper by Alistair Burns and Laurence Buckman summarises a multi-disciplinary group discussion on how the Enhanced Service might be optimally used to increase the numbers of people receiving a diagnosis and accessing post diagnostic support.
- Dementia and comorbidities: Ensuring parity of careApril 14 2016This report published by the International Longevity Centre demonstrates that a failure to prevent, diagnose, and treat depression, diabetes and urinary tract infections in people with dementia could be costing the UK’s health and social care system up to nearly £1 billion per year.
- Training resources to improve the dementia component of the NHS Health CheckFebruary 12 2018These training resources can be used by NHS Health Check trainers and practitioners to improve the quality of their delivery of the dementia component of the check.
- Dementia Action Plan for Wales 2018 – 2022November 20 2019The Welsh government have adopted the Dementia Action Plan for Wales 2018 - 2022, with Vaughan Gething, Cabinet Secretary for Health and Social Services, stating that, "Our vision is for Wales to be a dementia friendly nation that recognises the rights of people with dementia to feel valued and to live as independently as possible in their communities."
- Aneurin Bevan University Health BoardAneurin Bevan University Health Board covers the areas of Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Monmouthshire, Newport, Torfaen and South Powys. It serves an estimated population of over 639,000, approximately 21% of the total Welsh population.St Cadoc's Hospital, Lodge Road, Caerleon, Newport, Wales, NP18 3XQ01873 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.aneurinbevanhb.wales.nhs.uk/
- Alzheimer’s Society WalesAlzheimer’s Society is the leading care and research charity for people with dementia their families
and carers. The Alzheimer's Society Wales provides a wide range of services to support people living with dementia and their carers.16 Columbus Walk, Atlantic Wharf, Cardiff, CF10 4BY02920 email@example.com://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200139
- Dementia UKDementia UK is a national charity, committed to improving quality of life for all people affected by dementia. The charity provides Admiral Nurses, specialist dementia nurses who provide practical and emotional support to family carers of people with dementia.2nd Floor, Resource for London, 356 Holloway Road, London, N7 6PA020 7697 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.dementiauk.org
- Alzheimer’s SocietyAlzheimer's Society is a membership organisation, which works to improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.Devon House, 58 St Katharine's Way, London, E1W 1LB020 7423 email@example.com://www.alzheimers.org.uk/
- Alzheimer’s Research UKAlzheimer's Research UK is a leading research charity for dementia, dedicated to funding scientific studies to find ways to treat, cure or prevent all dementias. 3 Riverside, Granta Park, Cambridge, CB21 6AD0300 111 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org
- Dementia Services Development CentreThe Dementia Services Development Centre is an international centre of knowledge and expertise dedicated to improving the lives of people with dementia.Iris Murdoch Building, University of Stirling, Stirling, FK9 4LA, Scotland01786 467740https://www.dementia.stir.ac.uk