In addition to the blood tests, GPs or primary care staff may ask the individual and their family and carers to complete a specific test that asks about performing everyday tasks. In the 'Memory Clinic' individuals will be asked to complete specific neuropsychological tests to look at the areas where they are having problems. Most people are also asked to have a scan, usually an MRI scan but may be a CT scan.
- Helping you to assess cognition: A practical toolkit for cliniciansMarch 12 2013This toolkit published by the Alzheimer's Society provides guidance to clinicians about what cognitive function tests are available and how they may be used in clinical practice.
- Dementia core skills education and training frameworkOctober 29 2015This framework published by Skills for Health, Health Education England and Skills for Care sets out the essential skills and knowledge necessary for all staff involved in dementia care.
- Dementia and People with Intellectual Disabilities: Guidance on their Assessment, Diagnosis, Interventions and SupportApril 29 2015This guidance published by the British Psychological Society aims to promote effective and timely assessment, diagnosis, interventions and support to people with intellectual disabilities who develop dementia.
- Prime Minister’s challenge on dementia 2020February 21 2015The Prime Minister recently launched the government’s five year vision for the future of dementia care, support and research, which follows on from the existing Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia, launched in March 2012.
- QS30: Supporting people to live well with dementiaApril 3 2013This quality standard, published by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), covers the care and support of people with dementia.
- NICE Clinical guideline CG42 Dementia: supporting people with dementia and their carers in health and social careMarch 1 2011This guideline, published by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), makes specific recommendations on Alzheimer's disease, dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB), fronto temporal dementia, vascular dementia and mixed dementias, as well as recommendations that apply to all types of dementia.
- Unlocking Diagnosis: The key to improving the lives of people with dementiaJuly 4 2012This report published by the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia (APPG) explores the barriers to dementia diagnosis in the UK. It makes recommendations to improve diagnosis rates and provide better post diagnosis support for people with dementia.
- Guidance on the use of neuro-imaging in the assessment of dementia in Primary CareSeptember 12 2013This guidance for Clinical Commissioning Groups and Health and Wellbeing Boards covers the role of neuro-imaging in the assessment and diagnosis of dementia in primary care.
- CMG48: Support for commissioning of dementia careApril 3 2013This guidance produced by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) summarises the key commissioning issues and the resource impact that will arise from implementing improvements in the quality of care for people with dementia, in line with the statements and measures that comprise the NICE quality standards for dementia.
- Training resources to improve the dementia component of the NHS Health CheckFebruary 12 2018These training resources can be used by NHS Health Check trainers and practitioners to improve the quality of their delivery of the dementia component of the check.
- Delirium awareness videoMarch 4 2018Delirium in older adults often goes unrecognised by health care professionals and can be poorly managed. This video was produced with the aim of improving recognition and management of delirium in any healthcare setting.
- Dementia Action Plan for Wales 2018 – 2022November 20 2019The Welsh government have adopted the Dementia Action Plan for Wales 2018 - 2022, with Vaughan Gething, Cabinet Secretary for Health and Social Services, stating that, "Our vision is for Wales to be a dementia friendly nation that recognises the rights of people with dementia to feel valued and to live as independently as possible in their communities."
- Torfaen Memory Assessment ServiceDecember 10 2019Torfaen Memory Clinic is a team of healthcare professionals based at Ty Sirol Unit, County Hospital who assess, support, advise and provide treatment for people with memory problems and dementia.
- Torfaen Carers CourseJanuary 22 2020Torfaen Carers Course is a 7 week rolling programme for carers of people with Dementia. It provides information and advice on how to manage symptoms, how a diagnosis is made, your rights as a carer, managing your relatives finances, and ongoing support for looking after yourself as a carer.
- Aneurin Bevan University Health BoardAneurin Bevan University Health Board covers the areas of Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Monmouthshire, Newport, Torfaen and South Powys. It serves an estimated population of over 639,000, approximately 21% of the total Welsh population.St Cadoc's Hospital, Lodge Road, Caerleon, Newport, Wales, NP18 3XQ01873 email@example.com://www.aneurinbevanhb.wales.nhs.uk/
- Dementia UKDementia UK is a national charity, committed to improving quality of life for all people affected by dementia. The charity provides Admiral Nurses, specialist dementia nurses who provide practical and emotional support to family carers of people with dementia.2nd Floor, Resource for London, 356 Holloway Road, London, N7 6PA020 7697 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.dementiauk.org
- Alzheimer’s Research UKAlzheimer's Research UK is a leading research charity for dementia, dedicated to funding scientific studies to find ways to treat, cure or prevent all dementias. 3 Riverside, Granta Park, Cambridge, CB21 6AD0300 111 email@example.com://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org
- Alzheimer’s SocietyAlzheimer's Society is a membership organisation, which works to improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.Devon House, 58 St Katharine's Way, London, E1W 1LB020 7423 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.alzheimers.org.uk/
- Dementia Services Development CentreThe Dementia Services Development Centre is an international centre of knowledge and expertise dedicated to improving the lives of people with dementia.Iris Murdoch Building, University of Stirling, Stirling, FK9 4LA, Scotland01786 467740https://www.dementia.stir.ac.uk
- Cognitive neurology and dementia centreThe Cognitive neurology and dementia centre at St George's Hospital is a regional specialist centre for cognitive neuroscience and dementia, that works closely with other hospitals from across South West London, Surrey, Sussex and Hampshire, and with GPs, community nursing teams, mental health services and social services.St George's Hospital, Blackshaw Road, London, SW17 0QThttps://www.stgeorges.nhs.uk/service/neuro/cognitive-neurology-dementia/