Memory assessment services
Memory assessment services undertake a more detailed assessment of memory and other thinking processes.
This consists of a range of 'pen and paper' type or equivalent computer-based tests and questions that will look at things like memory, verbal and non-verbal abilities.
These tests can be helpful in deciding the type of problem a person may have, particularly in the early stages.
The assessment can be used as a baseline to measure any changes over time that can also help with making a diagnosis.
- Dementia READ codesDecember 5 2012This knowledge summary produced by Dementia Partnerships defines a standard set of READ codes for the diagnosis of dementia to be used by general practices and memory assessment services.
- Prevalence of dementia in population groups by protected characteristics: a systematic review of the literatureOctober 2 2015This literature review published by Public Health England examines evidence on how the prevalence of dementia varies with different characteristics, such as ethnicity, gender and religion.
- Models of dementia assessment and diagnosis: Indicative cost reviewSeptember 28 2015This report published by NHS England is designed to provide commissioners and service providers with detailed information about real alternative models of dementia assessment and diagnosis, with a cost breakdown.
- Dementia stakeholder groups – action plansJune 29 2011These plans outline actions for improvement across four key priority areas: improving service provision, early diagnosis, access to information and training.
- Dementia and People with Intellectual Disabilities: Guidance on their Assessment, Diagnosis, Interventions and SupportApril 29 2015This guidance published by the British Psychological Society aims to promote effective and timely assessment, diagnosis, interventions and support to people with intellectual disabilities who develop dementia.
- Prime Minister’s challenge on dementia 2020February 21 2015The Prime Minister recently launched the government’s five year vision for the future of dementia care, support and research, which follows on from the existing Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia, launched in March 2012.
- Prepared to care – Challenging the dementia skills gapJune 4 2009This report published by the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia (APPG) explores the scale of the challenge in training the caring professions in dementia, and how it may be met.
- Dementia: A state of the nation report on dementia care and support in EnglandNovember 29 2013This report, published by the Department of Health, sets out what is known about dementia care, support and research. It highlights where improvements are being made and where improvements are needed.
- Unlocking Diagnosis: The key to improving the lives of people with dementiaJuly 4 2012This report published by the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia (APPG) explores the barriers to dementia diagnosis in the UK. It makes recommendations to improve diagnosis rates and provide better post diagnosis support for people with dementia.
- NICE Clinical guideline CG42 Dementia: supporting people with dementia and their carers in health and social careMarch 1 2011This guideline, published by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), makes specific recommendations on Alzheimer's disease, dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB), fronto temporal dementia, vascular dementia and mixed dementias, as well as recommendations that apply to all types of dementia.
- CMG48: Support for commissioning of dementia careApril 3 2013This guidance produced by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) summarises the key commissioning issues and the resource impact that will arise from implementing improvements in the quality of care for people with dementia, in line with the statements and measures that comprise the NICE quality standards for dementia.
- A Misspent Opportunity? Inquiry into the funding of the National Dementia StrategyMarch 18 2010This report published by the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia (APPG) examines initial progress made by Primary Care Trusts in England towards implementing the National Dementia Strategy for England.
- Dementia diagnosis resource packJanuary 17 2013This resource pack produced by Dementia Partnerships sets out key steps for Commissioners and General Practices to improve the diagnosis of dementia, and diagnosis pathways.
- Dementia assessment and referral 2014-15October 28 2014This data collection reports on the number and proportion of patients aged 75 and over admitted as an emergency for more than 72 hours who have been identified as potentially having dementia, who are appropriately assessed and, where appropriate, referred on to specialist services in England.
- Dementia ConnectApril 26 2018Dementia Connect is Alzheimer's Society's comprehensive services directory for people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Guidance and standards for diagnosing dementiaMarch 10 2012This guidance sets out the process and associated standards for making a diagnosis of dementia in primary health care services, and by specialist memory assessment services.
- Torfaen Memory Assessment ServiceDecember 10 2019Torfaen Memory Clinic is a team of healthcare professionals based at Ty Sirol Unit, County Hospital who assess, support, advise and provide treatment for people with memory problems and dementia.
- Dementia Action Plan for Wales 2018 – 2022November 20 2019The Welsh government have adopted the Dementia Action Plan for Wales 2018 - 2022, with Vaughan Gething, Cabinet Secretary for Health and Social Services, stating that, "Our vision is for Wales to be a dementia friendly nation that recognises the rights of people with dementia to feel valued and to live as independently as possible in their communities."
- Aneurin Bevan University Health BoardAneurin Bevan University Health Board covers the areas of Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Monmouthshire, Newport, Torfaen and South Powys. It serves an estimated population of over 639,000, approximately 21% of the total Welsh population.St Cadoc's Hospital, Lodge Road, Caerleon, Newport, Wales, NP18 3XQ01873 email@example.com://www.aneurinbevanhb.wales.nhs.uk/
- Cognitive neurology and dementia centreThe Cognitive neurology and dementia centre at St George's Hospital is a regional specialist centre for cognitive neuroscience and dementia, that works closely with other hospitals from across South West London, Surrey, Sussex and Hampshire, and with GPs, community nursing teams, mental health services and social services.St George's Hospital, Blackshaw Road, London, SW17 0QThttps://www.stgeorges.nhs.uk/service/neuro/cognitive-neurology-dementia/