DementiaRoadmap Wales

Promoting living well with dementia across Wales

ENABLE – Support for Independent Living

November 1 2019

ENABLE provides support for independent living through adaptations, so people can access all the key facilities in their homes.

Whether you own or rent your home, the basic arrangements are the same. There are 3 levels of adaptations:

Small Adaptations 

  • grab rails and stair rails
  • small ramps
  • accessible taps
  • key safes

These adaptations are generally simple and quick to install. There is no means test or requirement for an Occupational Therapist or Trusted Assessor assessment.

Medium Adaptations

  • walk in shower
  • stair lift
  • large ramps

They may be means tested and they may require Occupational Therapist or Trusted Assessor assessment.

Large Adaptations

  • building an extension, for example to provide a downstairs bedroom and/or bathroom.
  • through floor lift
  • significant internal structural modifications, for example to relocate bathroom or kitchen.

They will be means tested and will require an Occupational Therapist assessment.

Who to Contact

Your GP, hospital or other health or social care worker can refer you or you or a family member can request an adaptation yourself.

If you live in a Council or Housing Association property contact your landlord first.

If you own your home, or rent privately, you should contact your local authority.

You may also be eligible for support from your local Care & Repair agency. For help and advice please call 0300 111 3333 or check out the website below:




Share this page