Best practice for commissioning diabetes servicesMarch 14 2013
This guidance published by Diabetes UK aims to help commissioners understand the nature of integrated diabetes care, why it is so important and to provide a signpost to other documents that will be of help in the commissioning process.
Download Best practice for commissioning diabetes services
The framework identifies five enablers of improving the delivery of diabetes care:
- integrated IT
- aligned finances and responsibility
- care planning
- clinical engagement and leadership, and
- robust clinical governance.
The benefits of a well integrated diabetes service include:
- Improved patient experience
- Ensuring that all healthcare organisations involved in providing diabetes care, through partnership, clearly own the responsibility for delivering excellent care to their local population
- Providing clearly defined terms of accountability and responsibility for each health care professional / provider
- Reducing duplication of time, tests and information