Advance care planning toolkitOctober 19 2012
This toolkit developed by the National End of Life Care Programme (NEoLCP) aims to help care providers approach the advance care planning process with confidence and knowledge.
- Advance care planning toolkit
- The differences between general care planning and decisions made in advance
- Advance decisions to refuse treatment
Talking to people nearing the end of life and their families about their wishes can be a daunting prospect for any health or social care professional. However, finding the right time, place and words can make a significant difference to how the person and their family prepare for death and its aftermath.
The toolkit can help care providers approach the planning process as it covers:
- what can happen and how to prepare when the initial conversation/discussion around planning takes place
- the documents that can be useful in supporting the process
- the benefits and need to share with wider teams across services who will be working to support the person and their family
- evaluating the impact of Advance Care Planning and measuring those who die within their preferred place