Activities and social groups
Remaining active, occupied and engaged with others is important and can support individual and family resilience. Many interests, hobbies and pastimes that have been enjoyed can continue with support or with adjustments and can include movement and exercise, creative arts, culture and religion. There may be local initiatives which are specifically for people with dementia, these may include; Clubs, memory cafes/clubs, peer support groups, day hospital/day treatment centres
- Active Minds – dementia activity resourcesFebruary 5 2016Active Minds produce a suite of activity products to assist people with dementia in leading active, engaging and fulfilling lives - enjoying activities that are meaningful to them.
- The Daily SparkleThe Daily Sparkle is a professionally written daily and weekly reminiscence and activity tool supported by the UK's leading care organisations such as the NHS, AgeUK and DementiaUK.
- Tailored resource for carers and care providers on supporting people to live well with dementiaSeptember 16 2015This resource published by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) highlights the key messages from 10 quality statements which form the quality standard for supporting people to live well with dementia and shows what they mean for carers and care providers.
- Peer Support for People with Dementia: A social return on investment studyThis report published by the Health Innovation Network South London, the Academic Health Science Network for South London, outlines the findings of a study which demonstrated that the positive social value of peer support groups for people with dementia, their carers and volunteers can be far greater than the investment.
- Aneurin Day CareApril 19 2018Aneurin Day care Centre Newport is a company founded on love. We provide high quality, person-centred care and support to older adults specialising in dementia, living in the community. In addition to providing a place of safety for older people who need day care, we ...
- Dementia ConnectApril 26 2018Dementia Connect is Alzheimer's Society's comprehensive services directory for people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Prime Minister’s challenge on dementia 2020February 21 2015The Prime Minister recently launched the government’s five year vision for the future of dementia care, support and research, which follows on from the existing Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia, launched in March 2012.
- QS30: Supporting people to live well with dementiaApril 3 2013This quality standard, published by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), covers the care and support of people with dementia.
- Building dementia-friendly communities: A priority for everyoneSeptember 3 2013This report, published by the Alzheimer's Society, explores evidence from people with dementia about their experiences of living in their community and the ten key things they would like to see in a dementia-friendly community.
- Dementia: A state of the nation report on dementia care and support in EnglandNovember 29 2013This report, published by the Department of Health, sets out what is known about dementia care, support and research. It highlights where improvements are being made and where improvements are needed.
- CEA Cinema CardMarch 7 2019The CEA Card is a national card scheme developed for UK cinemas by the UK Cinema Association (UKCA). The Card enables a disabled cinema guest to receive a complimentary ticket for someone to go with them when they visit a participating cinema.
- Dewis CymruApril 27 2018Dewis Cymru is a website that provides information and advice about well-being. In addition to health information, Dewis Cymru provides information about people and services in your area that can help you with the things that matter to you.
- Dementia Peer Support Resource PackApril 24 2015This resource pack, published by the Health Innovation Network, the Academic Health Science Network for South London, aims to promote and encourage more peer support opportunities for people with dementia.
- The Attic ProjectNovember 1 2019The Attic Project provides support to older people in Cardiff, The Vale of Glamorgan and Newport who need to make space in their homes by decluttering, sorting and clearing possessions. They can help you record your precious memories of treasured items to share and pass on to your family, friends and the community.Your memories can be linked to old letters, books, clothes or other much loved items.
- Newport music and memoriesNewport music and memories group gives people affected by dementia the opportunity to take part in structured activities.Communities House, Eton Road, Newport, NP19 0BL01633 665110
- Alzheimer’s Society WalesAlzheimer’s Society is the leading care and research charity for people with dementia their families
and carers. The Alzheimer's Society Wales provides a wide range of services to support people living with dementia and their carers.S4C, Parc Ty Glas, Llanishen, Cardiff CF14 5DU, UK0333 150 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200139
- Newport bowls groupNewport bowls group gives people living with by dementia the opportunity to take part in structured activities.Glebelands Stadium, Bank Street, Newport, NP19 7HF01633 665110
- Newport art group for younger people living with dementiaNewport art group gives younger people living with dementia the opportunity to take part in structured activities.Kensington Court Day Centre, Oaklands Road, Newport, NP19 8GQ01495 768744
- Newport social group for younger people living with dementiaNewport social group gives younger people living with dementia the opportunity to socialise and take part in structured activities.The Wheatsheaf Inn, Magor Caldicot, Newport, NP26 3HN01495 768744
- Dementia AdventureDementia Adventure is a charity dedicated to bringing the benefits of nature based activities and adventures into the lives of more people living with dementia. Unit 11, Old Park Farm, Main Road, Ford End, Essex, CM3 1LN01245 email@example.com https://www.dementiaadventure.co.uk/
- Dementia Friendly Café – MalpasCome along to a Dementia friendly café at St Mary's Church Cloister room, Malpas. Enjoy tea,coffee, biscuits and cakes, jigsaws, songs, textured cloths, painting and people to listen.St Mary's Church Malpas Newport, Malpas Road, Newport, UK01633 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Newbridge Memo Memory CafeMeets every 2nd Monday of the month at 10:00 am until 12;00 pm free entry and refreshments. Listen to music, watch films and chat about the past. The cafe is currently on hold due to low numbers April 2019Newbridge Memo, High Street, Newbridge, United Kingdom01495366934
- Alzheimer’s SocietyAlzheimer's Society is a membership organisation, which works to improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.Devon House, 58 St Katharine's Way, London, E1W 1LB020 7423 email@example.com://www.alzheimers.org.uk/
- Forget-me-not Chorus – New VenueThe Forget-me-not Chorus is a Cardiff based charity that supports people with dementia and their families through weekly singing and creative workshops. Beaufort Centre, Beaufort Road, St Julians, Newport, UK02922 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Echo Friendship ClubEcho Friendship Club is all about friendship and fun for Seniors. They meet on alternate Friday’s at 12 Noon at St Mary’s Catholic Church Hall, Stow Hill. they have regular speakers, beetle drives, quizzes and whatever else the members want. They organise trips and parties ...St Mary's Catholic Church, Newport, Wales01633 email@example.com
- Goldies Cymru – Singing and Activity GroupsPutting smiles on hundreds of faces through our daytime singing and activity sessions. Many new sessions are specifically for People living with Dementia.Caerleon library, Newport, UK07796 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.goldiescymru.org.uk/eng/where/
- Newport & County Horticultural Society – Winter Afternoon Talks & Summer Garden VisitsDo you garden? Do you love other people’s gardens? Then Newport & County Horticultural Society could be the very thing for you. Winter Afternoon Talks & Summer Garden Visits. For further information contact: Tel: 01633 274527 or Email: email@example.comNewport, Wales, UK01633 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sporting Memories ClubLove talking sport?
We welcome you to our friendly Sporting Memories Club at Rodney Parade. Every Thursday 10am to 12pm. Come along, listen and share sporting memories with other older sports fans. Free refreshments.Rodney Parade, Rodney Road, Newport, UK07887242409gareth.email@example.com
- The Reader OrganisationThe Reader Organisation is a charitable social enterprise working to connect people with literature through shared reading. The older people and dementia work programme uses shared reading to improve quality of life and care for people living with dementia and their carers.Calderstones Mansion House, Calderstones Park, Liverpool, L18 3JB0151 729 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.thereader.org.uk/
- Arts 4 DementiaArts 4 Dementia helps develop activities at arts venues to re-energise and inspire people in the early stages of dementia and their carers. The Music Base, King's Place, 90 York Way, London, N1 9AG020 7520 email@example.com://www.arts4dementia.org.uk/
- ThriveThrive is the leading charity in the UK using gardening to change the lives of disabled people. Thrive run structured programmes of activities for people with dementia which focus on positive reminiscence, re-connecting with others including friends and family and gentle appropriate exercise and cognitive stimulationThe Geoffrey Udall Centre, Beech Hill, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 2AT0118 988 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.thrive.org.uk/
- Cuppa & ChatOn your own? Pop in for a cuppa and chat at The Riverfront Cafe Newport. Every Tuesday anytime between 10am – 1pm because everything is better together.The Riverfront Cafe Newport Wales
- Legacy for 60 +groupIf you are 60 or over, have some free time in the day, and would like to join with others for food, tea, coffee, activities, friendship and chats, then Legacy is perfect for you.Christchurch Centre - Conferences and Meetings, Newport, UK01633 email@example.com
- The Attic Project Memories Group – Memory box ChallengeThe Attic Project Memories Group Memory Box Challenge allows you to share your memories through objects from your home. Newport Central Library | Llyfrgell Canolog Casnewydd, John Frost Square, Newport, UK07934 531 firstname.lastname@example.org
- “Zest for Life” – Young Onset Dementia ServiceWe are a supportive group for younger individuals. Suitable for those living with young onset dementia or cognitive impairment. We welcome individuals and carers across Gwent.
Weekly Friday drop-in groupWiddershins Centre, East Ave, Griffithstown, Pontypool NP4 5AB01495 769264
- Cognitive Stimulation Therapy SessionsOne-to-one virtual or in person sessions using fun techniques and activities proven to slow decline of early to middle stage dementia. Slots available Monday, Friday and Sunday with experienced Occupational TherapistNewport (South Wales), Newport, UKInfo@activitybootcamp.comhttp://www.activitybootcamp.com/shop