Clinical research into dementia could lead to better treatments for people with dementia and improve the quality of life.
Improving dementia research is one of the three main areas for action as part of the Prime Minister's Dementia Challenge.
The G8 dementia summit declaration set an ambition to identify a cure or a disease-modifying therapy for dementia by 2025 and to increase collectively and significantly the amount of funding for dementia research to reach that goal.
Practitioners may wish to consider encouraging patients and carers to take part in relevant research work into dementia.
- Prevalence of dementia in population groups by protected characteristics: a systematic review of the literatureOctober 2 2015This literature review published by Public Health England examines evidence on how the prevalence of dementia varies with different characteristics, such as ethnicity, gender and religion.
- World Alzheimer Report 2015: The Global Impact of DementiaAugust 25 2015The World Alzheimer Report 2015, 'The Global Impact of Dementia: An analysis of prevalence, incidence, cost and trends' makes key recommendations to provide a global framework for action on dementia.
- Peer Support for People with Dementia: A social return on investment studySeptember 16 2015This report published by the Health Innovation Network South London, the Academic Health Science Network for South London, outlines the findings of a study which demonstrated that the positive social value of peer support groups for people with dementia, their carers and volunteers can be far greater than the investment.
- Women and Dementia: A global research overviewJune 5 2015This report published by Alzheimer’s Disease International explores the main issues affecting women in relation to dementia from an international perspective.
- Prime Minister’s challenge on dementia 2020February 21 2015The Prime Minister recently launched the government’s five year vision for the future of dementia care, support and research, which follows on from the existing Prime Minister’s Challenge on Dementia, launched in March 2012.
- Join Dementia ResearchFebruary 27 2015Join Dementia Research aims to accelerate the pace of dementia research by allowing people with and without dementia to register their interest in studies, helping researchers find the right participants at the right time.
- Dementia DiariesJune 4 2015Dementia Diaries is a national project that brings together people’s diverse experiences of living with dementia as a series of audio diaries.
- Dementia: A state of the nation report on dementia care and support in EnglandNovember 29 2013This report, published by the Department of Health, sets out what is known about dementia care, support and research. It highlights where improvements are being made and where improvements are needed.
- Care of people with dementia in primary careMarch 10 2012This factsheet published by the Royal College of General Practitioners provides GPs with guidance on the care of people with dementia in primary care.
- Putting dementia on the mapNovember 29 2013Putting dementia on the map published by the Department of Health draws on data and information about dementia health and care, dementia friendly communities and research.
- Improving services and support for people with dementiaJuly 3 2007This report published by the National Audit Office presents findings from a study into the health and social care services available for people with dementia and their unpaid carers in England and whether they are providing effective and good quality support; and the scope for better use of resources against a background of rising demand.
- Blackfriars Consensus on promoting brain healthMay 3 2014The Blackfriars Consensus, published by the UK Health Forum and Public Health England, explores the potential for incorporation of dementia risk reduction into current approaches for non-communicable diseases.
- Focus on dementia researchMay 10 2014The National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) website Focus on Dementia showcases some of the cutting-edge clinical research that could bring new hope to dementia patients and their families.
- Participation in dementia researchMay 19 2013This short film aims to encourage more patients and carers to take part in ground-breaking research into dementia and other neurodegenerative diseases.
- Dementia 2013: The hidden voice of lonelinessApril 9 2013This report, published Alzheimer’s Society, reveals that nearly two thirds (62%) of more than 250,000 people with dementia who live on their own are lonely. This compares to just 24 per cent of over 55 year olds.
- Women’s experiences of dementiaJune 1 2015The 'Women's experiences of dementia' website contains a wealth of stories which highlight the experiences of women affected by dementia.
- Dementia UKFebruary 3 2007This report into the prevalence and cost of dementia shows that as the UK's population ages the number of people with dementia will grow substantially. It also shows that dementia costs the UK £17 billion a year.
- Journey of Caring: An analysis of long-term care for dementiaSeptember 19 2013This report published by Alzheimer’s Disease International highlights the importance of helping people with dementia to remain independent and living in their own homes as part of the local community for as long as possible.
- Low expectations: attitudes on choice, care and community for people with dementia in care homesFebruary 26 2013This report published by the Alzheimer’s Society stresses the need to lift expectations and to strengthen existing minimum standards to boost quality of life for people with dementia in care homes.
- Women and dementia: A marginalised majorityMarch 8 2015This report published by Alzheimer's Research UK reveals that dementia has become the leading cause of death among British women and that women are far more likely to end up as carers of those with dementia than men, suffering physical and emotional stress and job losses in the process.
- Delivering major improvements in dementia care and research by 2015: A report of progressNovember 8 2012This report by the three Champion Groups leading the Prime Minister's challenge on dementia provides an update on progress since the launch of the Challenge in March 2012.
- National Audit of Dementia – third reportJuly 13 2017The National Audit of Dementia (NAD) (care in general hospitals) measures the performance of general hospitals against criteria relating to care delivery which are known to impact upon people with dementia while in hospital. The third audit collected data between April and November 2016.
- NHS Health Check commissioning: Commissioner’s current and potential use of weighted financial remunerationFebruary 23 2018This report includes details of a literature review of commissioner’s current and potential use of weighted financial remuneration and provides recommendations for commissioners.
- Living with early-stage dementiaNovember 20 2019Living with early-stage dementia is a comprehensive guide published by Age UK, also known as Age Cymru in Wales.
- Projections of Older People Living with Dementia and Costs of Dementia Care in the United Kingdom, 2019–2040November 25 2019This report published by the Care Policy and Evaluation Centre at the London School of Economics and Political Science provides projections of the number of older people (aged 65 and over) living with dementia in the UK and the costs of healthcare, social care and unpaid care from 2019 to 2040.
- Risk reduction of cognitive decline and dementiaMay 14 2019The World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines on risk reduction of cognitive decline and dementia provide evidence-based recommendations on lifestyle behaviours and interventions to delay or prevent cognitive decline and dementia.
- The Many Faces of DementiaSeptember 9 2019This online course enables you to gain a unique insight into dementia through the stories, symptoms and science behind four less common diagnoses of dementia, the people involved and the implications of these for our wider understanding.
- Alzheimer’s Society WalesAlzheimer’s Society is the leading care and research charity for people with dementia their families
and carers. The Alzheimer's Society Wales provides a wide range of services to support people living with dementia and their carers.16 Columbus Walk, Atlantic Wharf, Cardiff, CF10 4BY02920 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200139
- Dementia Engagement and Empowerment Project (DEEP)The Dementia Engagement and Empowerment Project (DEEP) brings together groups of people with dementia from across the UK. DEEP supports these groups to try to change services and policies that affect the lives of people with dementia.PO Box 616, Exeter, EX1 9JB01392 email@example.com://dementiavoices.org.uk/
- The Imperial Memory UnitThe Imperial Memory Unit within Charing Cross Hospital offers patients access to the latest treatments for memory disorders through participation in clinical trials and research.Department of Neurosciences Level 10 West, Charing Cross Hospital, Fulham Palace Road, London, W6 8RF020 3313 5515 / 020 3311 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.imperial.nhs.uk/services/neurology/memory/index.htm
- Innovations in DementiaInnovations in Dementia is a community interest company that works nationally with people with dementia, partner organisations and professionals to develop and test projects that will enhance the lives of people with dementia.PO Box 616, Exeter, EX1 9JB01392 email@example.com://www.innovationsindementia.org.uk/
- Faculty for the Psychology of Older PeopleThe Faculty for the Psychology of Older People (FPoP), formely known as PSIGE, is part of the British Psychological Society's Division of Clinical Psychology. It works to encourage the exchange of information, ideas and expertise about psychological approaches with older people.St Andrews House, 48 Princess Road East, Leicester, LE1 7DR0116 252 9515Reinhard.Guss@kmpt.nhs.ukhttps://www.psige.org/info/dementia+workstream
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia (APPG)The All-Party Parliamentary Group on Dementia (APPG) is a cross party group made up of MPs and Peers with an interest in dementia.House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AAappg@alzheimers.org.ukhttps://www.alzheimers.org.uk/appg
- Alzheimer’s SocietyAlzheimer's Society is a membership organisation, which works to improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.Devon House, 58 St Katharine's Way, London, E1W 1LB020 7423 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.alzheimers.org.uk/
- Alzheimer’s Research UKAlzheimer's Research UK is a leading research charity for dementia, dedicated to funding scientific studies to find ways to treat, cure or prevent all dementias. 3 Riverside, Granta Park, Cambridge, CB21 6AD0300 111 email@example.com://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org
- Dementia PathfindersDementia Pathfinders CIC is a social enterprise delivering therapeutic care and support for people with dementia and their families, and programmes of education and learning for people working in the dementia care field.Warstones Resource Centre, Warstones Drive, Wolverhampton, WV4 4PG0845 257 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.dementiapathfinders.org
- Dementia Research CentreThe Dementia Research Centre, based at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, is one of the UK's leading centres for clinical research into dementia.8-11 Queen Square, London, WC1N 3AR020 3448 4773https://www.ucl.ac.uk/drc/
- Foundation for Assistive TechnologyThe Foundation for Assistive Technology aims to develop a thriving market in equipment that promotes independent living and meets the real needs of disabled and older people. 302 Tower Bridge Business Centre, 46-48 East Smithfield, London, E1W 1AW0300 330 1430 https://www.fastuk.org/
- Foundation for People with Learning DisabilitiesThe Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities influences government and local authority policies and services so that they better meet the needs of people with learning disabilities, their families and carers.1st Floor, Colechurch House, 1 London Bridge Walk, London, SE1 2SX020 7803 1100https://learningdisabilities.org.uk/
- Bradford Dementia GroupBradford Dementia Group is a multi-disciplinary, multi-professional group committed to making a difference to policy and practice in dementia care, through excellence in research, education and training.School of Health Studies, Horton A Building, University of Bradford, Richmond Road, Bradford, BD7 1DP01274 email@example.com://www.brad.ac.uk/health/career-areas/bradford-dementia-group/
- Dementia Services Development CentreThe Dementia Services Development Centre is an international centre of knowledge and expertise dedicated to improving the lives of people with dementia.Iris Murdoch Building, University of Stirling, Stirling, FK9 4LA, Scotland01786 467740https://www.dementia.stir.ac.uk
- YoungDementia UKYoungDementia UK is a charity based in Oxfordshire that aims to help people whose lives are affected by young onset dementia.PO Box 315, Witney, Oxfordshire, OX28 1ZN01993 firstname.lastname@example.org://www.youngdementiauk.org/